5012 Unicoi Dr, Unicoi TN 37692
Once owned by a number of different families, beginning with the Shelby family who obtained the property along the Buffalo Creek in 1782, the Bogart-Bowman Cabin changed hands from the Shelby family to the Bogart family and subsequently to the Bowman family by marriage. Considering the architectural details and particular methods of early frontier carpentry, it is believed the two-story cabin, dog trot and adjoining kitchen were built in the late 1700's or early 1800's.
The Town of Unicoi purchased the property in 2008 and began restoration. The exterior of this dwelling had been covered by manufactured siding for eighty years and the interior rooms had been
covered by sheet rock and other paneled coverings. What was hiding under the modern exterior and interior wall coverings was the original log construction. The fireplace had been covered over in the main room and the second floor had been sealed off. Once the sheet rock on the interior was removed, it revealed newspapers from the late 1800's and early 1900's plastered to the logs, a common practice of the period in an effort to ward off the cold. The chimney and fireplace in the main cabin were constructed of the native Tennessee limestone.
Once restored, the Bogart-Bowman log cabin and park will be the site of educational opportunities for local children and the public. These activities will include local and state history, early frontier social and cultural practices, as well as outdoor study of native plants.
To read the brochure on the Bogart-Bowman Cabin,